If you have a backyard full of rustic pine cones, then gather them up and give this fun and festive DIY project a try! These DIY pine cone Christmas trees are so easy to make and a great way to use up all of the pine cones that are at your disposal. Take a look below at how to make your very own and your home will be looking ready for the holidays in no time.
This is a perfect activity to do with your kiddos while they are out of school. They can create the trees (with your help!) and you can use them as a centerpiece or place card holders for your Christmas dinner!
- Pinecones (the bigger, the better!)
- Craft glue or hot glue
- White paint (spray or craft paint)
- Small beads
- Green pipe cleaners
We were able to find the paint and beads at our local craft store for just a few dollars a piece. Look for beads that are colorful and round and reflect the look of miniature ornaments. Mardi Gras beads would be perfect if you have any lying around. You can use any color paint you want, we just chose white spray paint since it would mimic the look of snow.
1. Begin by placing your pine cones on newspaper and applying a coat of paint. Allow some drying time and apply a second coat if you wish.
2. When the paint is dry, apply a generous dab of glue to the ends of the pine cones. You can then press a bead to the glue and hold it firmly into place.
3. While the beads dry, wrap a green pipe cleaner at the top of the pine cone. This is where you will add your star. We had a star embellishment in our crafting scraps, but if you don’t just use a foil star sticker or cut one from paper. Attach it with glue.
4. You can finish your tree by adding a dusting of glitter if you wish or just leave it as is. Ours was able to stand on its own, but if yours can’t consider gluing it to a small paper plate or cardboard square.