Dulce de Leche is a flavor that is starting to pop up in more and more desserts. Translated, it means “candy of milk” which explains exactly how it is made. The caramelized treat is created by slowing heating sweetened milk. There are different variations of the sweet treat, from creamy and gel-like to a custard-like.
There is a never-ending list of ways to use Dulce de Leche in your desserts. It is often used to flavor cakes, cookies, brownies, ice cream and nearly anything else that you’d like to add some sweetness to.
Dulce de Leche is extremely easy to make at home, especially if you have a crock pot! There are many recipes out there showing how to create it on a stove top or in the oven, however the easiest (and safest) way to create this treat is placing it in a crockpot overnight. The great thing about using the crockpot is you use canning jars that seal automatically when you use this method. This helps to keep it fresh so you can make it about a month in advance of using it.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk (amount depends on size of canning jars used.
- 2 cans will fill 3-8oz jars)
- Canning Jars with lids
- Fill each canning jar with sweetened condensed milk about an inch from the top.
- Place lid on and tighten ring finger tight.
- Place jars into a crock pot and fill pot with water to just below the rim.
- Cook jars on low for 8-10 hours.
- The longer you cook the mixture, the thicker it will become. Using the glass jars makes it easy to see how dark the milk has become.
- When it has finished cooking, carefully remove from water and allow to cool.
- Use immediately or the jar can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks when opened. If you store while still sealed, it should remain fresh for about a month.